Dover Athletic FC v Wrexham



Club1st Half2nd HalfGoalsOutcome
Dover Athletic011Draw


DOVER’S impressive unbeaten record against Wrexham continued but in frustrating fashion at a bitterly cold Crabble on Saturday.

Boss Chris Kinnear’s side created plenty of chances but failed to capitalise on them as the Dragons salvaged a point with a late equaliser.

Midfielder Joe Healy scored for the second consecutive home National League game to put Whites ahead 20 minutes into the second half before substitute Jordan White equalised 10 minutes from the end.

With honours finishing even, it means Dover have now drawn three of their six games against Wrexham while winning the other three.

It also meant both games between the clubs ended in draws this season following the 0-0 stalemate at the Racecourse Ground on the opening day of the campaign.

Boss Kinnear made one change to his starting side from the one that beat Chester two weeks ago with Hartlepool United loanee Nicky Deverdics replacing Jack Parkinson in midfield.

And it wasn’t long before Deverdics was in action.

Some neat interplay between him and Ricky Miller ended up with Ricky Modeste firing over in the opening minutes.

Miller had a goal disallowed in the 15th minute – much to the relief of Wrexham defender Curtis Tilt.

The central defender let a ball go and could only watch in horror as Miller pounced on the error.

Miller rounded goalkeeper Chris Dunn and slotted home only to be ruled offside.

Deverdics hit the side netting not long after, finding himself in a bit of space following Aswad Thomas’ cross.

Dunn produced a stunning finger-tip save to turn over Healy’s header – he wasn’t to know the referee had already blown for a foul.

Thomas then missed a glorious chance to put Dover ahead in the 31st minute after his free header from Deverdics’ pin-point free-kick sailed harmlessly over Dunn’s bar.

Moments later, Deverdics tried his luck from range with Dunn happy to see the effort curl just wide.

Thomas headed another Deverdics free-kick wide as Dover continued to threaten before half-time.

Dover goalkeeper Steve Arnold had nothing to do until just after the hour mark when he safely gathered Oliver Shenton’s cross.

The deadlock was finally broken five minutes later when Deverdics’ shot was parried by Dunn into the path of Healy and he made no mistake.

Two minutes later Dover went close to adding a second when Miller’s 25- yarder whistled past the post with the striker adamant Dunn had got a finger on it.

Dover continued to press and yet another Deverdics free-kick fooled everyone and bounced just wide of Dunn’s goal with the keeper stranded.

But with Whites looking set to make it back-to-back wins in the league, a double substitution from the visitors soon ended that hope.

Just three minutes after coming on, John Rooney and White combined to level things up.

Rooney’s cross evaded White’s head, cannoned into the post before hitting White and going in.

Wrexham, who have not won on their travels since September, had the last say in the game, with Arnorld saving a stoppage-time free-kick from Rooney at the second attempt.

The result keeps Dover fifth ahead of the trip to North Ferriby United next Saturday.

DOVER ATHLETIC : Arnold; Magri, Grimes, Orlu, Essam, Thomas; Healy, Deverdics; Miller, Lafayette, Modeste.

Subs not used: Emmanuel, Sterling, Pinnock, N’Gala, Parkinson.

WREXHAM: Dunn; Lund (White 76), Riley, Tilt, Jennings; Carrington, Penn, Rutherford, Shenton (Evans 90+2); McLeod (Rooney 76), Massanka.

Subs not used: Jalal, Barry

ATTENDANCE: 1,057 with 104 from Wrexham

Yellow Cards
Red Cards


Date Time League Season Full Time
11th February 2017 3:00 pm National League 2016-2017 90'