Dover Athletic v AFC Fylde



Club1st Half2nd HalfGoalsOutcome
Dover Athletic022Win
AFC Fylde101Loss


An injury time goal from Inih Efffiong handed ten-man Dover their first ever win against AFC Fylde at a rain-soaked Crabble on Saturday.

The striker run onto Alfie Pavey’s pass and chipped the ball over visiting keeper Jay Lynch for his eighth goal of the season and extended Dover’s unbeaten run to four matches in the National League.

After Anthony Jeffrey had been given his marching orders for an alleged professional foul, Effiong bundled in Pavey’s header seven minutes from time to cancel out Danny Rowe’s first half opener.

Earlier, a punched corner by home keeper Mitch Walker fell for Rowe ten yards out, but the striker volleyed harmlessly over.

St.Mirren loanee Jim Kellerman then broke clear for the visitors, but placed his left-footed shot inches wide of the post.

The away side kept creating chances and Zaine Francis-Angol fired Danny Philliskirk’s clever pass wide.

But the away side had the lead on 26 minutes through danger man Rowe.

The striker made it five goals in four matches against Athletic, collecting Kellerman’s pass into the area and slotting past Walker’s despairing dive from eight yards.

Rowe will wonder how he didn’t double Fylde’s lead ten minutes before the break.

The forward’s point blank header was well saved by Walker and Athletic’s keeper was out quickly to deny Nick Haughton following up the rebound.

Athletic thought they had equalised when Jeffrey volleyed Bobby-Joe Taylor’s corner goalwards, but Francis-Angol was on hand to volley off the line.

Away stopper Jay Lynch saved well from Taylor following some intricate play, with Bedsente Gomis unable to fire the rebound on target.

Following the restart, Jeffrey sprinted onto Effiong’s pass, but Lynch was out quickly to block the winger’s poked shot.

A misplaced header by Jordan Tunnicliffe let in Effiong, but the striker went to ground claiming a foul as he turned the recovering defender, though the referee waved away the home side’s protests.

And there were more protests when Dover were reduced to ten men on 65 minutes.

As Danny Philliskirk sprinted clear, Josh Passley seemingly fouled the player, however the referee sent off the covering Anthony Jeffrey for this second red card of the campaign.

Walker beat away Arthur Gnahoua’s fierce drive and Ryan Croasdale fleshed a volley just wide of the post as Fylde looked to killed the game off as a contest.

But Athletic deservedly equalised thanks to Effiong’s fourth goal in as many games.

The striker bundled in substitute Pavey’s knockdown on 83 minutes much to the delight of the home fans behind the goal.

Haughton went for a winner curling his shot into Walker’s hands, but there was still time for a dramatic ending.

Effiong exchanged passes with Pavey and ran clear of the visiting defence to fire in the winner, causing wild celebrations among the home supporters.

And Whites held on to register their third consecutive home win and move within two points of safety.

Earlier, manager Andy Hessenthaler kept the same side that started at Eastleigh last week.

Whites next host fellow National League side Havant & Waterlooville in the Buildbase FA Trophy First Round Proper on Saturday 15th December, kick off 3pm.

Yellow Cards
Red Cards


Date Time League Season Full Time Attendance Man of the Match
8th December 2018 3:00 pm National League 2018-2019 90' 927 Inih Effiong


Crabble Athletic Ground
40 Crabble Rd, Dover, Kent CT17 0QJ, UK