Dover Athletic v Folkestone Invicta



Club1st Half2nd HalfGoalsOutcome
Dover Athletic123Win
Folkestone Invicta000Loss


James Caton’s stunning strike sealed Dover’s place in the final of the Kent Reliance Senior Cup after beating neighbours Folkestone Invicta at Crabble on Monday night

Whites led 1-0 at half-time through Moses Emmanuel before Bondz N’Gala headed home his first for the club and Caton wrapped it up with a thunderous strike.

They were the first goals that the Ryman League Premier Division side had conceded in the competition.

The visitors started brightly and Ian Draycott tried his luck early on, but blazed well over Mitch Walker’s goal from the edge of the area.

Dover responded with Ricky Miller’s free-kick curling past the upright after the striker had  been felled by Samuel Beale inches outside the box.

The 30 goal hit-man, suspended for the next two games following his booking in the previous match with Solihull Moors, then laid the ball off for Mitch Pinnock, who struck a left foot effort wide.

Tyrone Sterling headed over Emmanuel’s cross before Dover had three shots on goal in as many seconds.

Miller wriggled free of the Folkestone defence and saw his shot parried by Tim Roberts, Emmanuel’s follow up was cleared off the line before the rebound fell kindly for Caton to strike, but his effort was comfortably saved by the visiting keeper.

Emmanuel eventually gave Dover the lead in the 38th minute when he pounced on a poor back pass to run clear and fire past Roberts.

Draycott fired a free-kick narrowly over as Invicta went for an instant reply.

Dover continued to press after half-time and Pinnock’s delivery was headed towards Emmanuel by Connor Essam, but the striker scuffed his effort when well placed.

Whites doubled their lead 11 minutes after the break, when centre back N’Gala, one of two players from Saturday’s starting side playing, powerfully head home Pinnock’s corner.

Jordan Wright’s jinxing run and shot deflected just over before Draycott”s effort rolled just wide.

Miller blasted over James Hurst’s accurate centre and then smashed a volley just over the upright as Dover looked to make the game safe.

Hurst then headed Pinnock’s set piece directly at Roberts as the home side continued to create chances.

Miller’s darting run and shot flew wide and and Roberts  did well to block Emmanuel’s shot after Caton’s pass put him clear.

Caton sealed the win in style after he evaded two challenges and smashed a shot into the top corner.

The contest may have been over, but the action continued right until the final whistle.

Walker saved Draycott’s volley before Hurst whistled an effort past the post and Essam had a header cleared off the line.

Boss Chris Kinnear’s side will play either Bromley, Welling or Charlton in the decider.

Bromley and Welling play their quarter-final tie on Tuesday, with the winner facing Charlton.


Dover Athletic: Walker; Kinnear, Essam, Fazakerley, Sterling, Emmanuel (Healy 79mins), N’Gala (Grimes 70mins), Miller, Caton, Hurst, Pinnock.

Subs not used: Magri, Thomas, Modeste

Folkestone Invicta: Roberts; Vincent, Chappell, Friend, Blanks; Wright, Starkey, Cornwell (Sahadow 74mins), Beale (Madden 87mins); Draycott (Brisley 87mins), Taylor

Sub not used: Brabham

Attendance: 514



Yellow Cards
Red Cards


Date Time League Season Full Time
6th March 2017 7:45 pm Kent Senior Cup 2016-2017 90'