Torquay United v Dover Athletic FC



Torquay United2Win
Dover Athletic1Loss


Gulls swoop to beat Whites

Miller’s stunner in vain

NOT even a sublime Ricky Miller goal could prevent Dover’s three-game National League winning run from coming to an abrupt end in Devon on Saturday.

Substitute Miller’s cracking free-kick cancelled out Jamie Reid’s opener before Dan Sparkes secured the Gulls the three points.

The hosts moved out of the bottom four with the win, one which also ended a three-game losing streak.

It was also Torquay’s first win against boss Chris Kinnear’s side in three games after Whites won both clashes last season.

Kinnear admitted it had been a bad day at the office, one that ended with his side slipping from fourth to sixth ahead of Monday’s clash with seventh-placed Aldershot at Crabble (3pm).

He said: “We were not on our game today, but we should have got something out of it. It’s very disappointing.

“We looked sluggish and they were up for it. But so should we be.

“At 1-1 you would take a draw on a bad day but bad defending by us cost us a point.”

Dover started with plenty of intent and had a penalty claim waved away minutes into the contest after goalkeeper Brendan Moore appeared to bundle over striker Ross Lafayette.

Torquay responded with Nathan Blissett firing wide before West Bromwich Albion loanee Joe Ward saw his long range effort easily gathered by Dover keeper Steve Arnold.

Blissett then watched as his lob beat Arnold and the woodwork before Dover missed a great chance to open the scoring.

Moore came and missed Ricky Modeste’s free-kick but Aswad Thomas headed over with the goal at his mercy.

Modeste volleyed Thomas’ left-wing cross over before Lathaniel Rowe-Turner’s powerful run ended with the left-back firing just wide just before half-time.

The deadlock was broken less than a minute after the restart when Exeter loanee Reid fired past Arnold.

They went close to doubling their advantage when Courtney Richards’ shot whistled just wide.

Dover responded with Moses Emmanuel going close after the winger pounced on some sloppy work by Aman Verma.

Arnold kept Dover in it with two fine saves to deny Sparkes.

First he won the one-on-one before producing a spectacular effort to push Sparkes’ powerful header over his bar.

Miller came on seconds after that stunning save – he wasted little time in announcing his arrival.

Five minutes after coming on, Miller won a free-kick just outside the area and took the kick himself, leaving Moore with no chance.

But Dover’s celebrations did not last long with Torquay regaining the lead straight from the restart.

The towering Blissett’s headed flick sent Sparkes away, he beat last man Jack Parkinson before slipping the ball past Arnold.

Dover were down again – but far from out of it.

Miller saw his shot deflected just wide, Jim Stevenson tested Moore, before that man Miller went close with a volley.

It was all Dover now and they went agonisingly close to salvaging a draw with virtually the last kick of the game.

And it was substitute and former Torquay striker Tyrone Marsh, who was booed every time he touched the ball, who almost provided the perfect response to silence his one-time fans.

His shot beat Moore before hitting the inside of the post and bouncing away, much to the relief of the home faithful.

 Referee Referee: Mr Adrian Quelch     Referee's Assistants Assistants:  Mr Scott Jackson & Mr Christopher Smith

Yellow Cards
Red Cards


Date Time League Season Full Time
27th August 2016 3:00 pm National League 2016-2017 90'